P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet is a Thanksgiving themed ABC book where there is one entry for every letter of the alphabet. There is a short rhyming poem for each letter that coordinates with the illustrations. There is also a sidebar for each letter that further explains or adds information about the entry. I was surprised at how detailed and educational the sidebar information was for many of the entries. I learned information that I had not known.
Religious beliefs of Pilgrims and Native Americans discussed. Illustration of father reading Holy Bible to children.
- The sidebar sections are quite detailed with additional information. Some have questions for discussion. Use these as starting points for your own discussions. If one of these topics is of great interest, do further research at your local library or online.
- Show on a map where the pilgrims sailed from and where they landed.
- The entry for the letter N discusses one of the four carvings in the capitol building. Research what the other three carvings depict.
- Make a recipe with cranberries.
- Make your own family ABC book about Thanksgiving.
- Look for the Teacher's Guide available on the publisher's website: http://sleepingbearpress.com/. (Just to note: I found this title through my local library system and decided to read and review it on my own. I did not receive a copy from the publisher and they have no idea that I have reviewed their book. I will say that I am so impressed by the number of teacher's guides available on their website and the quality of this book that I will probably seek out more of their titles to review).
The links above are for the paperback edition. I read the hardcover editionto write this review.
Prices change all of the time.
Double check the price before making a purchasing decision.